Thursday, August 13, 2009

Stimulating the Economy



Since I last posted, DH & I have stimulated the economy to the tune of almost $50,000.00. Yep, that's right. In July, we bought our daughter a 2009 Toyota Matrix fully loaded for around $25,500.00 for her 21st birthday. In addition to the car, we bought her a ticket to see the Broadway Musical "Wicked" when it came to the Orpheum Theater & took her out to an elegant (ie: extremely expensive) dinner at Flemings. We also gave her spending money for 2 trips that she took even though she has a part time job. Two weeks later, my DH & I went to buy a new car for him as his 15 yr old Mercury Grand Marquis was in need of repairs that were going to be over $6,000.00. Thank you for the "Clunker" law as he qualified for the $4500.00 rebate. We bought him a 2010 Toyota Corolla "S" which has a lot of nice features including lumbar support seats. Very important as one ages. There went another $20,000.00.

Then, we took my Pfaff 7570 sewing/embroidery machine in to be serviced as it was getting sluggish. There went another $185. Then, it rained & the roofed leaked so cha-ching, we're putting another $2000.00 for home repairs. Yes, we have really stimulated the economy. Here are photos of the new cars that live at our house. Both are very pleased with their new vehicles & I'm happy that my Pfaff loves being cleaned of all of the lint that builds up in the innards of a sewing machine. It's running smoothly. Sewing wise, I've been busy mending clothes ... I shortened the sleeves on a jacket for one lady by removing each sleeve from the armhole & shortening at the top of the sleeve. Then I had to shorten the shoulder seam, sew the sleeve back in & then shorten the lining. It took about 3 weeks to do this as I'm very slow. I've also took up seams on a pair of pants to loose the clown look on the hips plus hemmed 2 dresses. I'm also making craft items for our ASG upcoming craft fair. Last week, I did manage to get a blouse cut out for me using Butterick #4659. I love wing collar & princess seams. I do hope to do some tone on tone embroidery on the princess panels before sewing it together. I think it will be very pretty when done. Hope everyone is doing well for the summer.
Happy Stitching!

No comments: