Monday, September 7, 2015

Last year my cousin, Nina Nesom, became engaged for the first time at the age of 46. I was so thrilled for her and felt honored when she asked me to help her find a pattern for her dream wedding gown. Nina is a super plus size and it's not easy to find patterns that may fit her. So, Nina sent me a photo of her dream gown. She specified that she didn't want a train and she wanted elbow length sleeves. After searching numerous sites, I realized that there was not any patterns in her style or that would fit her. So I set about drafting a pattern for her. I called my friend, Debbie Crummie, who met up with me and we discussed what was needed. My aunt, Nina's mom, took measurements and using Judy Kessinger's Master top pattern as a base, Debbie and I proceeded to draft a pattern that would fit Nina. Believe me, it was not easy and I didn't tell Nina that it was the first dress pattern that I had actually drafted from scratch. I have not seen Nina in over 20 years so I was doing this with a lot of prayer. Anyway, Nina was thrilled when the pattern arrived and she found a seamstress in New Orleans to make the gown for her from my pattern. I had sent her fabric suggestions and wrote the instructions for construction of the dress. The bodice was a pleated cross-over with a full bias cut skirt that had pockets on the side seams. For whatever reason, the seamstress would not do the pockets. When all was said and done, Nina looked gorgeous on her wedding day wearing her dream gown. I'm so happy that I had a part in making the day memorable.

2 comments:

Herry Johnson said...

We invest critical energy in astounding young women dresses, baptism dresses, little kid dresses, expo dresses, first association, and some more. We offer individual insightfulness with respect to each young women dress and can change anything to your specific needs whether size or shading. In the event that it's not all that much inconvenience grant 6-8 weeks to get the solicitations when sent to US and Canada. If you require the solicitation to be passed on sooner please contact us.

Anusha Gupta said...

Invest in mutual funds for your future