Wednesday, September 17, 2008

National Sewing Month

September is National Sewing Month so as an ASG member and officer, I try to promote sewing in the community. Our ASG chapter started off by demonstrating sewing, embroidering, and knitting at the Delta Fair & Music Festival. Members worked 4 days of the 10 day fair. Then we gave a presentation on African-American Art Quilts at the Dixon Gallery & Gardens for their exhibit on Ancestry and Innovation- African American Art from the American Folk Art Museum. We will return on Saturday, September 20th to demonstrate sewing techniques for their Family Day program. On top of these activities I have started a sewing ministry at my church one afternoon a week in which I do mending and alterations for church members. Plus, I have started teaching basic beginner sewing lessons at a community center in an impoverished neighborhood. There are no fees involved as many people in this area do not have the means to take classes that are offered at the local fabric stores or sewing machine dealerships. My classes will give them a place to gather and fellowship plus learning a skill. I love teaching others to sew and hope they will gain the same pleasure from this as I do. What are you doing for National Sewing Month?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have just meandered again, unto your "Marty's Little Corner." What a kind spirit you have. Many of us have to adjust to new living arrangements, i.e. health, etc., and you are doing something about it. Although I am more active in Church as to stuffing bulletins, making prayer blankets, what a good idea teaching sewing skills and doing repair work. I think I will bring this up to our quilters group. Each year we make a quilt to be sold by raffle from our scraps. Makes us work together, a pretty quilt and much pride! Keep it up, Marty! Marie