Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hemming Away ... by Hand

Business for my sewing ministry has picked up. I am becoming quite the expert at hemming pants for men & women who need this done. Because items are often dropped off for me to do with no real measuring of the person, I ask them to drop off something that fits well and I go from there. Recently, I have been hemming 5 pairs of pants for one person. All of them were different lengths and brand new. He brought in a pair of pants that fit him so I measured the inseam from those pants. I did note that the nylon hem from the blind stitch machine (probably a dry cleaners or alteration person at the store) had come out on one leg. I stitched those pants also. When I tried to put in a 3-4 inch hem, the fabric puckered so out came the stitching. I cut all of the pants down and then put in 2 inch hems. I don't know what the standard is for men's dress pants but this gave a smooth finish on the outside with invisible stitching. After determining the finished length and adding for the hem, I cut the fabric and then serged the edge, marked my 2 inch hem and then hand stitched the pants. So far this method is time consuming but it looks good. My DH approves. One of these days, I hope to become more proficient in using my blind hem foot where I can whip these out but I'm not there yet. Oh, one of these days I will be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Marty, what a wonderful ministry! I'd make 2" hems and be quite happy, if the fabric is available. You never know, when you're just having to work with what you are given. Sometimes fusing interfacing gives needed weight and the pants hang better if there isn't enough fabric length.

homegrownsongwritersalabama said...

Hi, Marty...Sue from VintageKenmoreSews, here. I'm happy your business is picking up. I admire you for that. I just cannot sew for the public. Mother did it for years.

Linda T said...

Hemming pants is not one of my favorite things to do. I have a pair of jeans that I need to get to! Happy to hear that business is coming along.

Mary DeMong said...

This is a great form of reference!