Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Wedding

Last year, a young couple that I know got engaged and the bride asked if I would make her wedding gown. With a fledging budget, she had seen some dresses that she liked but it wasn't in her budget. I told her that the dress would be her wedding gift from me. She bought white satin, silver organza overlay, and picked out a pattern that was close to her size similar to what she wanted. In May, I took her measurements and started a muslin ... it was too small ... increased it in a new muslin and then it was too big ... did another muslin that fit in most places but needed some adjustments ... so a new muslin and it was too big once again. I just couldn't seem to get the bust right on the bodice. Then the bride changed her mind on how she wanted to look. Finally got the fit right and the bride loved the gown. It was fully lined with the silver organza overlay. I combined Simplicity #2442 with Simplicity #1909 as the bride wanted a train. All in all, 3 weeks of sewing, measuring, fitting and wrestling with 6-1/2 ft long seams for the skirt of the dress (there were 7 of them), the dress was done. It fit perfectly and the bride was thrilled. It was beautiful wedding.



 
 
 
Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Abston!!!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I just found your blog. What a great way to honor another human being on a happy occasion.
Great dress.
My mother made a wedding dress for someone. She remembers the occasion with great pride and happiness.
Kudos to you. Enjoy
Thanks for sharing

Josie Huber

Amy in LA said...

What a wonderful thing to do for that young lady! I know she felt special that someone would go to such lengths to help her have a wonderful wedding. She looks so happy. God bless you for sharing your talents-Amy in Madisonville, LA