Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Abston!!!
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Last year, a young couple that I know got engaged and the bride asked if I would make her wedding gown. With a fledging budget, she had seen some dresses that she liked but it wasn't in her budget. I told her that the dress would be her wedding gift from me. She bought white satin, silver organza overlay, and picked out a pattern that was close to her size similar to what she wanted. In May, I took her measurements and started a muslin ... it was too small ... increased it in a new muslin and then it was too big ... did another muslin that fit in most places but needed some adjustments ... so a new muslin and it was too big once again. I just couldn't seem to get the bust right on the bodice. Then the bride changed her mind on how she wanted to look. Finally got the fit right and the bride loved the gown. It was fully lined with the silver organza overlay. I combined Simplicity #2442 with Simplicity #1909 as the bride wanted a train. All in all, 3 weeks of sewing, measuring, fitting and wrestling with 6-1/2 ft long seams for the skirt of the dress (there were 7 of them), the dress was done. It fit perfectly and the bride was thrilled. It was beautiful wedding.
Monday, August 4, 2014
While sewing on the wedding dress, both of my sergers went on strike. Hubby took them in for repairs and came home with the new Babylock Ovation serger for me. He traded my Pfaff 4874 and all of the presser feet that went with it for the Ovation. I am beyond thrilled. I am so excited and it is so easy to use. Guess that takes care of his shopping for me for my birthday and Christmas this year.
Around the first of the year, I wanted to make a little boy's baptismal outfit for a friend. I am new to Heirloom sewing but I wanted it to be extra special. I bought Creations by Michie' pattern #107, Banded Boy Bubble. The fabric that I used was a light blue cotton sateen. I went to the Lace Cottage and bought several yards of a tiny ecru edging lace and several yards of an insertion lace. I made view C from the pattern and learned a lot as I progressed with this project. I made a 6 month size. I learned how to apply edging lace to pintucks, made a faux waistband and suspenders adding the insertion lace down the center of the suspenders. I made the bottom of the bubble and learned how to add elastic around the leg/crotch area plus used snap tape. I referred often to my sewing books for help in making this bubble. Everything was done except the buttonholes when I didn't set the machine properly and ended up messing up the top buttonhole. As I took out the stitches, I made a mess of the fabric. Instead of starting over, I carefully unpicked the back and cut away the damaged fabric. Then I created a placket and did the buttonholes over again correctly. I added the placket to the back of the pants and embroidered his name onto it. I was very concerned that it might not fit the baby. However, it fit perfectly. His baptism was on July 20th and his mom was thrilled. Now I'm making a wedding dress for a friend. I'm trying not to go crazy over this ...