Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Called ...

Yikes, what have I done... For the past year or so, I've felt restless and have been trying hard to get my health stabilized. Maybe it is empty nest syndrome or missing being employed. Whichever, I have prayed for something meaningful to do with my days. So I proposed to our church council to start a sewing ministry at our church by providing alterations thru the church and teaching others to sew at a nearby community center. I feel as if I have been called to do this. The vote was this weekend and I have been approved for this ministry. This is a giant leap of faith for me and a challenge to my sewing skills. Doing alterations is a big step as I hate to do them even for myself. However, with 4 retirement centers within 2 blocks of the church and a university within walking distance, I feel that this is a service needed in the community for financially strapped families and students. Have I totally lost my mind or what??? What do you do to share your love of sewing with others?

2 comments:

Marji said...

I think it's a very generous thing you're setting out to do.
Are you setting some parameters on the alterations part of it?

Marty's Little Corner said...

Yes, Marji, I'm only committing to doing the basics - replacing zippers, fixing hems, sew on buttons, etc. Things that can be done quickly. If it is something I cannot do, I will refer them to a professional. I've bought some books by Mary Roehr on altering men and women's ready to wear.